Subject: Re: Lights/walls/icons and fans
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 19:27:34 -0800

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Scott McCabe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>hey, I have a small question about the actual light (ie. point,spot). I've 
>made a industrial looking room with those heavy duty fan things built 
>into the wall. Now, throughout the animation I'm rotating the fans however,
>I've placed 3 lights behind the fans (I have 3 fans, 1 for each fan) but
>from a side view or distance it looks like there is no light unless the 
>camera is staring right into the tunnel.

	Well, you wouldn't even see THAT unless LENS FLARE is turned on.

	Do you mean that you can't see what the light is illuminating?  Turn
your AMBIENT all the way down, that might help.  Use the LIGHT VIEW to look 
"thru" your lights to see what they are hitting.  Check their values.

 I'm wondering if the actual size 
>of the light (the actual yellow light in Layout) is being blocked by 
>either the fan or the wall.]

	AFAIK, lights in LW are point sources, except for the distant light.

 Does the light icon have to be totally free 
>from walls or how can I tell what part is hitting a wall to where it 
>doesn't cast light or a shadow? Can part of the icon touch a wall? or am
>I just being to anal retentive? ;)

	Just remember you can undo everything.  Move 'em away fromthe walls:
however, only the very center of the icon should count.
 
>
******************************************************************************
** [email-masked]                     |  Synergy Graphix & Animation   **
** Welcome to Seattle!  Have a latte'!     | Technical Subjects a Specialty!**
** Don't make me force it down your throat.|     "OK!  Wind the frog!"      **